General Sales Manager
Independently owned WPLM-FM serves metro Boston, MA and beyond, live and local, from our South Shore facilities in coastal Plymouth. We are a major market broadcast team seeking qualified sales leadership to guide us to the next level. You will have a core team to build upon with your own hires, expertise, systems and support. You must have the passion, commitment and drive to execute your proven strategies to advance revenues – on air and through non-traditional revenue opportunities. If you prefer selling and coaching to meetings and reports and would welcome building relationships with business leaders instead of being stuck at your desk with another corporate conference call, this unique opportunity is for you. Whether you’re management looking for a change or an experienced seller looking to move up, send your resume to Laurie Campbell, GM, at email@example.com. Experience with media sales mandatory, radio preferred.
- Create, manage, and achieve budgets and projections for station revenue in collaboration with General Manager. Set and adjust station rates to meet goals, based on supply and demand.
- Grow sales revenues by increasing market share for station and developing new direct business.
- Able to work closely with colleagues involved in marketing, sponsorship, promotions, events, publicity and programming.
- Develop and implement sales strategies through pricing policies, key and target account management, and inventory management. Build accounts.
- Work with all station departments to create and maximize events, NTR and promotional and product opportunities.
- Create a productive work environment.
- Provide training, development, and positive leadership of Sales personnel to ensure success of individual and department goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement new business plans, sales projects, and strategic plans for sales.
- Know the strengths and weaknesses of competing stations and mediums. Maintain integrity in all business dealings.
- Supervise Account Managers.
- Recruit, hire, train, coach and lead effective sales talent in a culture based upon accountability and encouragement.
- Maximize results for multiple lines of business.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field strongly preferred.
- Radio sales and/or management experience required.
- Customer-focused selling experience preferred.
- Experience with both agency and local direct/retail clients
Skills & Abilities
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent written, verbal communication and social interaction skills
- Competencies in leading a sales team by communicating a vision and values, strategic decision making, building partnerships internally and externally
- Knowledge of broadcast industry related to inventory, ratings, research, marketing, demographics and digital media
- Knowledge of TapScan, Nielsen, Scarborough data
- Proficient computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and new ones as needed
- Ability to be flexible, handle stress and multiple tasks simultaneously, and build a results-oriented, positive culture
- Prioritize and meet strict deadlines, manage financial responsibilities and work well with clients both independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
Work Environment: Valid driver’s license and good driving record